Sunday, October 4, 2009

Hulu Vs. YouTube, Fight!

Here is an article from Flow that discusses the repeated attempts by NBC and other major media corporatations to shut down YouTube. I found it interesting how in light of Alex's talk, there seems to be no discussion of YouTube as itself a branch of corporate media conglomerates, instead it's as if Google were our local mom and pop media company. I guess there is no such thing as "non-corporate" space on the internet, and this simply looks like "old" television companies trying to figure out how to compete with "new" Google. About half-way through the article, I realized I hadn't watched Hulu in a while, and since I canceled my cable thinking cable and internet are redundant, proceeded to watch about 3 hours of high-quality (picture, I'm not making any claims to "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia being Quality TV), easily navigable television.

2 comments:

  1. There's also the instant stream of Netflix if you are feeling up for the Herculean task of watching a 90-minute film without clicking. But since there is less clicking it seems that studios would consider it a less threatening online space?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i find the non-click ability of streaming netflix maddening. i want my (simulated, false, yet deeply compelling) aura of control....

    ReplyDelete